S5 Box






Q: Can you please recommend me the websites which I can obtain information on Thai visa?


A: You can find all relevant information on Thai visa including visa application form at www.mfa.go.th (Visas and Travels Documents). In this official website, you can also see the addresses of Thai diplomatic and consular missions worldwide where foreigners can apply for visa (www.mfa.go.th/main/en/information). 


Q: I want to work in Thailand. I am a Malaysian, living in K.L. How should I go about getting necessary visa? 


A: In order to work in Thailand, there are 2 important elements:

    (1) Non-Immigrant “B” Visa and           (2) Work Permit

    First of all, you need to have a prospective employer in Thailand. Then you may apply for a Non-Immigrant Visa category “B” (business) at the Royal Thai Embassy in K.L. using the basic required documents and recommendation letter from your employer along with your company’s business certifications as suggested in the website (www.mfa.go.th).

    Once you have obtained such visa, you can enter the Kingdom and therefore apply for a Work Permit from the Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour.

    In order to expedite visa issuance, your employer may, on your behalf, apply for the Work Permit in advance (with the form called Tor Thor 3). The Department of Employment will then issue a pre-approved certificate to be used in your visa application. In such case, please make sure to obtain the Work Permit (Tor Thor 2) once you arrive in Thailand. 


Q: I am a Lithuanian. I want to go to Thailand for sightseeing for just a week. I understand that Lithuanian nationals have to apply for visa before entering Thailand. But there is no Thai Embassy in my country. Can you please give me some advice? 


A: You have three options: 

     (1) Lithuanian nationals are eligible to apply for visa on arrival (VOA) at any of 32 designated checkpoints in Thailand, including, of course, all international airports. Currently nationals of 27 countries are eligible under this scheme. They are;

Andora, Bulgaria, Bhutan, China (including Chinese Taipei), Cyprus, Czech, Estonia, Ethiopia Hungary, India, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Maldives, Malta, Mauritius, Oman, Poland, Russia, Romania, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan. (Oman nationals are also exempted from visa for 30-day stay for tourism purpose, and Russian nationals are also exempted from visa for 30-day stay because of bilateral agreement) 

With the Visa on Arrival, you would be granted a stay of a period of not exceeding 15 days. But you must have a passport valid for at least 6 months, a round-trip air ticket where date of departure from Thailand is within 15 days of the date of entry, and adequate finances equivalent to at least 10,000 Baht per person.

     (2) There is a Royal Thai Honorary Consulate-General in Vilnius, the capital of Lithuania. You may apply for a Thai tourist visa there. In such case, you would be permitted to stay in Thailand for 60 days.     

     (3) You may also apply for Thai tourist visa at the Royal Thai Embassy in Moscow or at the nearest Royal Thai Embassy in which would also permit you to stay for 60 days. 


 Q: I am an Indonesian national currently working for a Company in London. My company has assigned me to attend a training course in Thailand for 6 weeks. Should I apply for visa, and where can I do that? 


A: You need to obtain a Non-Immigrant Visa before entering the Kingdom. You may apply for such visa at the Royal Thai Embassy in London. Basic documents include a recommendation letter from your company verifying your status and the assignment. You will also need documents certifying that you are legally employed in Britain and confirming that you will be able to re-enter Britain without any problems. 


Q: I am an Indian and I just finished my study in Bangkok. Now I want to work with a company in Chiang Mai. Do I need to do anything? 


A: You need to apply for a change of visa status, and apply for a Work Permit. You are therefore recommended to consult with the Immigration Office and the Department of Employment accordingly.